Actions that Remind Us of Our Heritage
- Ask your parents or teacher about the meaning of national holidays.
- Learn the states and their capital.
- Ask your grandparents and parents what life was like when they were growing up.
Actions that Keep Us Involved in the Democratic Process
- Tell someone in authority when someone does something wrong.
- Question things you don’t understand or that don’t make sense.
- Ask your parents who they are voting for and why.
- Discuss issues facing the country at dinner.
- Go to the polling location with your parents when they vote.
Actions that Support Groups with a Special Responsibility For Keeping the County Strong
- Wave to policemen and fire fighters.
Actions that Help Us Understand Our Government
- Read the Declaration of Independence and Constitution.
- Go on a police "ride-along".
Actions that Promote a Sense of Community
- Pick up a piece of trash each day.
- Recycle paper and glass products
- Volunteer at a “community center” (nursing home, homeless shelter, etc. ) especially during the holidays.
Actions that Strengthen Families and Individuals
- Say please and thank you always and I'm sorry when you are.
- Don’t do something you think is wrong just because someone else wants you to or is doing it.
- Keep a journal of things you appreciate and are thankful for.